Monday, March 23, 2009

the wait is on...

short and sweet today (like my mother).

generally a good day.  my mom's energy is focused on making her mouth and throat better.  her being able to swallow is what is standing in the way of her getting off her IV nourishment.  you know your throat is sore when drinking cold liquids hurts. more crucial is that it is inhibiting her ability to talk on the phone much.  imagine char philpott at a loss for words....if i haven't been seeing it, i wouldn't believe it.  she does most of her talking now in her sleep.

the pastoral forces were at work today as my mom got visits from our senior pastor and rabbi elena.  those always perk her up a little.  i saw her for a while this morning.  for those of you in the pool, the hair will be out tomorrow.  she probably would have had them shave her head today but she promised one of the patient care assistants that she could shave it tomorrow.  she wanted it shaved today but was determined to stand by her word.  

now....more waiting.  ever since we were kids, waiting has been hard.

"I have always been delighted at the prospect of a new day, a fresh try, one more start, with perhaps a bit of magic waiting somewhere behind the morning."
- J. B. Priestley

many blessings,
tim

2 comments:

  1. I wait at night to read "Timmy's" update. So you really are getting your "hair" cut. Today was my first day of spring break. I also took a vow of silence. It was really great not talking for most of the day. But I do look forward to your phone calls and hope that you are up to it soon. Also, Debbie needs to be called so you can ask for Mrs. Mullins. Wow that is really strange!!! Take care. I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Char (et al),
    To say the least, the good news about your chemo treatments was received with “Hallelujah!!” ‘round the world. We join you in thanksgiving and rejoicing for these results. I’m sorry that the side effects linger, but “this, too, shall pass.”
    I know you are getting ready to never have a “bad hair day” the hard way, but I have seen a website – lookgoodfeelbetter.org – which has lots of pointers about head coverings, wigs, hats, and scarves (and some down-right sexy ways to tie them). Jim could put that new laptop to use and look it up.
    You and the entire Philpott clan (or is that “nation”?) remain in our thoughts and prayers, but I must add, we are breathing more easily.
    Lots of love, Malissa

    ReplyDelete