Wednesday, March 25, 2009

mr. freeze?

another "not so good" day.  it started over night when her temperature spiked to 103.  the nurses had the cold rags and ice bags working through the night.  when i got there about 7:15, she was still running a pretty good fever but she was able to get some sleep.  i was able to finish about 8 or 9 sudoku puzzles as i watched her sleep.  i dawned on me that i hadn't EVER spent that much time watching my mom sleep.  weird.  she was SO tired, she didn't even talk in her sleep.  weirder.

as the day progressed, the doctor changed her antibiotics and pain medication a little.  they are still trying to make sure she stays infection free during the recovery process.  for all those interested in the throat issue, i found this link to webmd that talks about the oral side effects of chemotherapy.  (i understood about every 3rd word).

again, my mom didn't feel up to getting her head shaved (i know we can all relate to that).  maybe tomorrow.  if she waits much longer, a tweezers will do the trick.  if you can't wait any longer for a picture, i posted a reasonable facsimile below.  (I had a link to it, but i guess it wasn't working for everyone).  that's about what it will be like - without the eyebrows.  the resemblance is uncanny.

hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.  she wants so badly to string some good days together.  my dad said she was feeling better when he left tonight.  that's a good sign.  i'll stop in on her in the morning.  for tonight, i'll pray a little more.

keep those cards and letters coming.....

"Let your mind start a journey thru a strange new world. Leave all thoughts of the world you knew before. Let your soul take you where you long to be...Close your eyes let your spirit start to soar, and you'll live as you've never lived before."
- Erich Fromm (don't confuse this with lyrics from Phantom)

blessings,
tim


2 comments:

  1. Hi, Char,
    I was reading about your temp spiking night before last, and I sure hope that is under control by now so you can string a (LONG) bunch of good days together. However, the nighttime thing got me thinking and remembering (that’s what old people do, you know), and it occurred to me that all of the real medical issues I’ve encountered happened at night. Didn’t all your kids’ temperatures spike at night, or wouldn’t some flu bug strike at night and you’d hear, “MOM!!!” at 2 a.m.? Or, does it just seem that way, because that’s when access to medical resources and support of family and friends is at its low?
    Maybe the solution is to hang a big sun outside the window of every ill person and keep family and friends near around the clock. If that can’t happen for real, know that the sun is always shining some place where people are praying for your quick(er) recovery, and the thoughts, care, and love of so, so many family and friends are always surrounding you. That should keep the germ monsters in the closet or under the bed and away from you, my friend.
    Much love and hope for a good day,
    Malissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Char,
    When Drew called me Sunday about your good news I ran out of the store I had stopped at after church. It was so exciting and my spirits were lifted. We've been praying and hoping but when the results really come in you give a big sigh and say thank the Lord.
    Tim writes that you have been having some not so great days. Well let me tell you that I have ordered you some really great days all in a row. Now for this to happen you have to be in an attitude of allowing not resistence. I promise you if you will do this you will have some super days.
    I pray for you to be in an allowing attitude and the rest will just happen. I'll be looking to Tims' notes to verify the results. Remember, no doubting, no resisting, just lay back and allow and enjoy. I really believe we're turning the corner. Keep the faith!!!
    Love and Blessings,
    Ken Sparks

    ReplyDelete