Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Phone Calls and Clergy....

the last few days have brought some nice progress with my mom.  my dad and i were to the hospital early today.  as always, my mother was glad to see us.  she is definitely getting her spunk back (a little).  she was awake most of the morning and fairly chatty about the nurses and general level of care.  

chris, my dad and i were there for the morning rounds.  the doctor had only good things to say about her on his rounds.  as of tonight (wed), she is beginning her final 24 hours of the chemotherapy drug.  her white blood cells are very close to where they need to be and they keep managing the other aspects of her blood as needed (i think she got some platelets today). she also is starting to get rid of some of the fluid she has retained.  she has described her hands as those of the pillsbury dough boy.  following a couple of very tough days, she is falling in line with other "typical" patients on the bone marrow ward.  so much so, that they are moving her back to a regular room on the ward.  i think she will miss the view of the nurses station and all the activity.  she's also going to miss the fancy bed that they give to ICU patients.  

she also started eating a little today.  she has been on IV nourishment through the dialysis and other complications, but she said "tomorrow, i think i'll start eating more".  she hasn't really wanted to eat much up until now.  another good sign.

she did have a visit from our senior pastor today.  i wasn't there, but she was happy to see a new face.  she also was visited by the rabbi at the hospital.  rabbi "elena" and my mom got to be chums during last year's hospital stay. combined with a call from pastor dave late in the day, she had a nice triple shot of "professional" spirituality.  tomorrow, maybe a priest, a presbyterian and a baptist. (this is starting to sound like a bad joke).

tonight, instead of her usual reminder to my father to call her sister, she suggested that they both call her in the morning... 

i just stopped typing because i had to answer the phone...it was my mom.  she called to see how rusty, her dog, was doing with us.  after a brief conversation with maggie, she said her goodnights to my dad.

....as i was saying, she is planning on calling my aunt irma in the morning.  when i was a kid, there was nobody, and i mean NOBODY, that could talk on the phone longer than my mother.  perhaps a new age of phone talking is at (dough boy) hand.  with at least 3 more weeks in the hospital, everyone may get a call (or 10). i wonder if they have cordless patient phones....

on these days, the posts are easier to write.  good things always are.

please keep the thoughts and prayers coming.  there is no doubt in my mind that they are working.  

many blessings,
tim  

5 comments:

  1. Tim, my prayers are for your mom and family during this trying time. In times like these people seem to be a bit speechless and do not have words to say, and sometimes we get a little redundant by saying "I'm praying for you" or "trust God". but those saying are true. I will check in from time to time and just leave a little words of inspiration. I know, if I don't know nothing else is that God does heal, it may not be what or how we expect healing to come, but God does heal. So, with all that being said here is the first inspiration up lifting for and Mom.

    ~Peace!
    Trazana(Tracey) A. Staples

    I asked the Lord to Bless You

    I asked the Lord to bless you
    As I prayed for you today
    To guide you and protect you
    As you go along your way...
    His love is always with you
    His promises are true,
    And when we give Him all our cares
    You know He will see us through...
    So when the road you're traveling on
    Seems difficult at best
    Just remember I'm here praying
    And God will do the rest.
    ~ Author Unknown ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. Philpott, Tim & Family,

    Just want you to know that my thoughts and prayers are with all of you. Prayer works miracles!! In 1990 my father was in the hospital for 180 straight days and there were many times we didn't think he would make it, but by the grace of God and the love of his family he did and is going strong today!! From what I have read from Tim's blog, you have both the love of your family and the grace of God pulling for you!! I praying for all of you.

    Sheri Sanders

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. Philpott,
    This is Ted Jebens from a few doors down in Forest Park. I know it has been about 30 years since I have seen you, but I bet you look as great as ever :) I am sorry to get back in-touch during such tough times. I have a friend who was faced with a very similar situation a few years back. He told me that what helped him was talking and hearing about all of the positive stories of people who have overcome this struggle. He said it not only encouraged him, but it convinced him that he was going to "join the crowd" of those who were included in those stories of success. Please seek out the positive stories and know that you too will “join the crowd.” You will be in my prayers and I know you have a great family and a lot of support. If you need anything, just let me know.
    Ted

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mrs. Philpott,

    Tim shared what you are dealing with right now, and I'm sure you could do MUCH MORE FUN STUFF than hanging out in a hospital for a few weeks - but, ya gotta do what ya gotta do. :)

    I know that you built an amazing family and sounds like they are all rallying around you during this time...as well as a few pastors and rabbi's, which never hurts!

    One of my favorite names for God is Jehovah-Rapha, the God who heals. He is able. I will pray for the medical team that you are working with, that they have wisdom and compassion. And, gosh, it would be so hard being stuck in bed, I will pray that you get the encouragement and connections with people that you need to help make this time go by quickly.

    I'll tell ya, I tried candy striping for awhile, and once I had to carry a bag of urine, and I was DONE - D-O-N-E! Then I just resorted to connecting with the patients and helping them feel a little better, EMOTIONALLY! So, I will also pray for a sweet candy striper to visit you when your family & friends can't be there....do they even have those any more? hmmm.

    I will look forward to getting updates on your blog. Thank you for being such a big part of my schooling experience. When I look back, your frequent presence at Middle School and High School, really made my school experience, where I was so terribly shy, feel like a family. Thank you for giving me that gift.

    You Are Blessed,
    Rhonda Richardson :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mrs. Philpott,
    I truly miss you at work. The atmosphere is not the same without you. You have so many people praying for you and your entire family. I believe that "Nothing is too difficult for our God" so, I'm looking forward to sharing a cup of International coffee and good conversation with you very soon.
    Be Well!
    ~Elissa, Dwaine & Lovely :)

    ReplyDelete