Monday, March 9, 2009

Another "good" day

as chemotherapy goes, i would characterize today as "good" for my mom.  she remains in the critical care unit of the bone marrow ward and is receiving excellent care.  she is still having dialysis and, to our knowledge, still has pneumonia although she has been on anti-biotics for that since saturday.  they gave her a morphine "button" today to help her with the pain.  it looks like she is a contestant on jeopardy.

so what makes it a good day then, tim?  (you ask)

well, this was the first day when she reluctantly told my dad that she thought she was feeling a little better.  now she does have the morphine, but she has so much wanted to feel better that, whatever the reason, it's a good day.

by the end of the day, her white blood cell count was almost to zero.  down from about 80,000.  this is a sign that the chemotherapy is doing what it needs to "kill" the bad cells (along with the good).  time will tell what her body is able to regenerate.  as i write this post, my dad is at my house talking to her ON THE PHONE.  she called here to make sure he called her sister.  dutifully, my dad called her sister.  despite all she is going through, she continues to worry (more) about the people around her.  she gives my dad a list of people to update every day.  count yourself lucky if you are on that list.  

she got some increased comfort today when they gave her a new bed.  it helps her change her position throughout the day.  she is basically immobile so this has provided some comfort as she spends the day in bed. 

her personal care physician visited today.  she hasn't been this excited to see a visitor since pastor dave weaver stopped in last thursday.  (i'm not jealous....really).  it's difficult to keep all the would-be visitors away from the hospital.  if you're reading this, you know my mother and she has a personal prayer army bigger than switzerland.  she only wants to see jim and "the boys" so we are enjoying the comforts of hospital chairs.  strangely enough, i've grown to appreciate the sound of my mother snoring (a little).  for a brief moment yesterday, all 4 boys and my dad were there.  the 6 of us haven't been alone in a room together for years probably.  i'm sad that i just realized that.

lastly, i have never known my mother to be a person who wore a hat.  sometimes she wears a baseball hat a little cocked to the side but it just doesn't look right on her.  following her stay in the hospital, she will probably wear a hat (or scarf) more often.  i'm sure she would appreciate any suggestions anyone has on what type of a hat or scarf to get.  i want her to wear a beret and talk with an accent.  chris wants her to wear a chef's hat.  please send her your ideas and we'll have her decide.  i always struggle with what to buy her for mother's day.

seriously, thank you very much for your continued prayers and thoughts for my mother.  it is no coincidence that she is feeling better with such a "family" of people standing with her.

blessings,
tim


7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have changed the setting that was keeping everyone from posting so please try again. i would really love to share comments with my mother. thanks to all who have been emailing me.

    Just Choose Name/URL in the "Comment as" box and it will prompt you for a name to input.

    email me with questions: tim_philpott@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Char,
    Tim says that the blog technology is now available even to novices like me. We’ll see. Anyway, I’m hoping you have had a restful, peaceful day. I bet that can be hard to come by with people coming and going, poking and prodding. Tell them that at the prices you’re surely paying, you want the best service they’ve got.

    Ken and I are meeting Angie and the kids in Greensburg tomorrow for her to take our dogs while we attend a wedding in Portland, Oregon. Sam J and Sidney are looking forward to seeing Rusty again. We’ll be back late Saturday night, and will come to Cincy to pick up the “l’il darlin’s.” I know your visitation is limited, so we’ll not attempt to see you, but know that you are in our thoughts and prayers, along with those of many, many others. God bless. Love, Malissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Grandma,

    It makes me feel good to hear that you are doing ok. I am hoping that Tim sends you our very best wishes. We pray for you several times daily and know that God has good plans for you and will heal your physical body (it will take more prayers to get your sassy attitude!). Matthew misses his "Cincy" grandma and so do many many others. I knew you were liked, but I hope you know how much people love you - including me (even if you don't always think I do the best "parenting" job - haha).

    I look forward to seeing you out and about at Drew's baseball games and church! As for the hat, I think you should get a big red hat (like the ladies in the Red Hat club) - one with a brim!

    Love you lots and lots! As my family says - xoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you are trying to find hat/scarf options. I need to think about it but I'm coming up with a hat or scarf idea for everyday of the week! I am really glad to hear that she's doing better and please know that my prayers continue! Much love to you and Angie!
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I personally think her black light-up witch's hat would be perfect! Hair and hat all in one, and it's really atrractive, with or without the broom.

    Lots of love and good thoughts to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't know how my message got labeled as "TickedOFF", but those who know me would probably think it fits!! Of course, Char knows my sweet disposition better than that. Anyway, I still think her Halloween hat would speak volumes. Luv ya, Pat

    ReplyDelete