Thursday, March 12, 2009

New Room, Less Meds and the "Nose"


today brought little in terms of "excitement".  the main goal of today was to get my mom out of the intensive care room and back to a "regular" room.  that finally got accomplished around 3:00 this afternoon. she moved a total of about 35 feet FROM room #3304 TO room #3305. this was the first time her feet hit the floor in the last 5 days.  luckily, if she sits in the right place, she can still keep a keen eye on the nurses station.

the visitors are starting to come back in greater numbers.  i joked yesterday that the professional spirituality quotient was high....well, i think we topped it today. there was actually a rabbi, a chaplain, a methodist minister, and a parish visitor. the prayers were loud and proud (can i get an AMEN?).  the comments on the blog, the greeting cards as well as email and facebook messages are all bringing my mom a smile.  my mom's co-workers sent one of those cards where everyone signs it and writes something funny....loved it. while she hasn't wanted a lot of visitors, you would never know it when they show up.  all of a sudden her personality kicks up a notch.  it's fun to watch.  

i posted a message and the above picture on the facebook group from my high school graduating class.  my mom was on the school board when i graduated so she got to give me my diploma.  doesn't she look happy?  don't i look like i have a really big nose?  anyway, my high school classmates have sent me a bunch of emails and you can read some posts here.  everybody knows my mom.

medically, she finished her last IV of chemotherapy drug.  they continue to take out/off different IVs and "spigots". she also got the oxygen taken off today.  they are still adding some nutrients via IV (like calcium and magnesium) when she needs it but, with the chemo done, IVs should continue to go away.   tonight, she had fish for dinner and is slowly getting her appetite back.  

thanks for the prayers and thoughts.  do me a favor and slip in a little prayer for my dad.  these are very long days for him, too.  

blessings,
the "nose"




2 comments:

  1. here i was just thinking how freakishly tall you appear in the photo.... :)

    glad to hear all the news, Tim, the prayers are silent and long as well, as you know.

    Keep up the progress, Char!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Grandma,

    I miss seeing you at drew's basketball games and baseball games! I know you miss being there too, but you are focused on getting better, which is a job in of itself. You are making good progress! Keep up the good work! I love you and I am praying for you! Lots of Love!

    Love You,

    Maggie!

    P.S. Your little boy (or angel as you call him) is doing fine! we will send pictures!

    ReplyDelete