Friday, March 13, 2009

Nurses or Angels?

a good friday....my mom and i spent about 5 hours together today as my dad got out for some errands (doctor's appt., haircut, lunch, swing by the condo).  i think he needed a little time away from the hospital.  he has pretty much been by my mom's side from dawn to dusk since she went in.

my mom ate better today and, for the first time in a few days, was up and down out of bed.  also, the physical therapists were in to give her a regiment of exercises she could do in her bed - mostly simple leg and arm exercises.  if you didn't know better, and saw her from a distance, you'd think she was practicing cheers or watching a sporting event on tv.  it gives me great joy to remind her to do the exercises or breathe into the little breathing device they gave her.

i would say her condition is fairly stable.  she is finished with the chemo drugs and is in recovery mode.  now we wait.

reading cards and notes was fun today.  there was a big stack of cards that came in the mail and plenty of emails and blog posts to read.  she only had me make a few phone calls.  she's still not up to talking a lot on the phone (that will come) so i get to talk and basically repeat what she is telling me.  (i'm gonna start dialing and handing her the phone).

there was a "strange" moment this morning.  my mom was tired and told me she wanted to have a "conversation with the Lord".  i think that's code for "stop talking to me because i'm gonna sleep a minute or two".  not ten minutes after she nodded off, the chaplain appeared at the door.  not two minutes after that, a nurse i had not met appeared.  her name was "Angel".  my mom's nurse was also mentoring a new nurse - who came in.  his name was "Peter".  so my mom says she's gonna have a conversation with God and then a chaplain, angel and peter show up....now you have to admit, that's a little eerie.  i'm just sayin'.

as always, thanks for the prayers.  i truly believe my mom is overwhelmed at how many people are reaching out to her.  "there are so many good people in the world - i think we're gonna be alright".  she continues to be a woman of great faith.

keep the prayers, cards and notes coming.  she loves them all.  

here's to a good weekend.

blessings,
tim

1 comment:

  1. Hey Grandma,

    I am glad to continue to hear good reports. Keep breathing into the breathing machine. It helps! When Jason was in the hospital, we named it Charlie. Charlie became our friend! Isn't God great! I am sure you feel His love from the people who have been praying and sending you good wishes. I am sending them too! Keep eating and resting and doing the things the doctors and nurses tell you to do (yes, I am bossing you!), because I know you will beat this and come home soon! Speaking of Jason, we are hosting he and 7 other college boys on their way to Destin, Florida. They are very nice and polite but it has been a long time since I have been around 7 college boys - smelly!

    I hope you know how special you are! I know we tease you, but we just love you so very much! I pray you have a peaceful night and a great day tomorrow! See you soon!

    Love you lots,

    Missy
    xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete