Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Grandmother's Hugs and Magic Wands


she almost got me to cry tonight.  almost.

you might remember a few days ago, my cousin sent a picture of my mother's grandmother.   tonight, after my dad left, i got to hear about my great-grandmother and what a wonderful, kind, loving person she was.  "she gave the best hugs ever". i could totally see the love my mother was feeling in her tired eyes.  a hint of melancholy but mostly a general fondness for days (and people) gone by.  i wonder what my kids will say about my mom in 65 years. probably the same thing.

(she almost got me again)

she had her bone marrow test today without any incident. while drugs certainly played their part, she says the test spot from 16 days ago still hurts worse.  along with the bone marrow test, she got some more blood and platelets.  dracula would be envious of her "diet". throw in some pain medicine for her throat and tylenol for her recurrent fever and you have the pharmicist's "project" that is my mother these days.  hopefully, we'll get the (positive) results of the bone marrow test on friday.

probably the high point of the day (not counting my visit) was getting the princess wand (pictured above).  early in her hospital stay, nurse becky was carrying a "magic wand" during morning rounds.  since that day, my mother has coveted it. my dad got my mother her own wand today.  it makes a special "magic healing noise".  she waves it a lot.

nighttime could be the most difficult time for my mother.  she feels most alone.  it's quiet and she sleeps on and off.  what must she think?  i hope the thoughts and prayers of her family and friends are heard. they are needed.  before i left tonight, i waved the magic wand over her.  i know it helps.

"I had become, with the approach of night, once more aware of loneliness and time - those two companions without whom no journey can yield us anything" - Lawrence Durrell

blessings,
tim

4 comments:

  1. Grandma,
    just about everything is different without you in the mix. the grapes after games, advice on keeping that back elbow up when batting and just your wit and slight correction that's needed for all your grandchildren (matthew included). We are grateful for being able to share all those times with you and look forward to the special times that lie ahead. You have made much progress and i hope you know that our love and prayers are with you. I know you have experienced the healing presence of Gods Holy Spirit in the notes you have recieved and through the people who love you. May that knowledge comfort and sustain you through the lonely times ahead. You are in our thougts and prayer but you are being held in God's hands. remember that you are loved even more than we can express in our feeble attemps.
    May God's Spirit heal your spirit and your body.
    Many Blessings,
    Ed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grammy....

    Charlotte #2 here... i wanted to let you know that i really really REALLY want you to get better!!! i have been thinking about you a lot!!!! probably like every day!!! but dont worry... im still thinking about stuff that you think is important like... school!!! I love you sooo much... and cant wait to see you at easter!!! and i expect you to be better by then!!! so could you do me a favor and get on that whole getting better thing.... that would be great... i would really appreciate it!!! i miss you sooo much... and hope if even though i cant always be the most sentimental person... but if this note gave you a little chuckle... then my job today is done!!!!

    Grammy... wanted to remind you that you are my second favorite charlotte (right behind myself of course) and i need my #2!!!!

    cant wait to see you in a few weeks!!!

    I LOVE YOU!!!!!

    Charli

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dear friend Charlotte...you know how I love to call you Charlotte. Never Char from me...always Charlotte. Charlotte, do you have those papers I was looking for? Charlotte, can you help this student? Charlotte, can you fix this pencil sharpener? Charlotte, can you tell me how I am going to accomplish this new task? Charlotte, do you have a few minutes to listen to my concerns and help me solve this problem? I miss you; I miss your friendship. So when you awake during the night and feel lonely, please spend some time thinking about how much you are loved and the huge impact you make on so many lives. Then Thank the Good Father for all that he is and go back to sleep. Robbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Char,
    I just want you to know that I am reading "The Shack" I can remember that you said the book made a very profound impact on you, so I decided to check it out. I can't wait to discuss it with you over our cup of morning coffee/tea. I am still praying for you and believing to see God's healing power manisfested in your life more and more each day!
    Elissa

    ReplyDelete