Tuesday, March 24, 2009

day 20 and the "before"

another day, another sore throat.  my mom, despite positive momentum, still is bothered by the throat (ok, tim, enough about the throat.  we got it 7 posts ago).

hey! cut me some slack.  when espn doesn't have new stuff to talk about, they run the same story about A-Rod or Tiger..... i'm just sayin'.

anyway, i was at the hospital for rounds this morning.  the doctor's visits in the room are very "routine".  it goes something like this:

doc:  "how are you feeling today?"
mom:  "ok.  my throat still hurts a lot."
doc:  "it's gonna be that way until your white blood cells come back."
mom:  "when will that be?"
doc:  "soon.  it's hard to say.  people are different.  the average person stays for about 28 day, you're on day X so BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH..."
mom: (sigh)
doc:  "any other questions?  you're looking good"
mom: "i wish my throat felt better."
doc:  "it will. any other questions?"
mom:  "no. (but my throat hurts)"
doc:  "see you tomorrow."

record that conversation and push "play" and you have the daily doctor visit.  today was a little off-script.  it went more like this:

doc:  "how are you feeling today?"
mom:  "ok.  my throat still hurts a lot."
doc:   "at least you're on the right side of the dirt."

brilliant!  

he is now an official member of the philpott family.  sarcasm and all. don't misunderstand.  he wasn't being flippant.  somehow, he knows my mom doesn't like pushing the "play" button so he punched "random".  anything to break up the routine.  i like him.

with the sore throat and fever she has been fighting, this wasn't the best day for my mom.  the good days are outnumbering the bad, but this wasn't one of the good days.  maybe tomorrow.  she didn't get her hair cut off today.  she wanted me to take a picture of the "before".  she said it was ok to post.  so i did. the hair will come off on wednesday, i'm sure.  stay tuned for the after.

one of my friends from growing up in forest park suggested i read the book "Love You Forever" by Robert Munsch.  i was at the bookstore today and looked for it. it's a children's book (or it's in that section).  after i read it, i bought it and shared it with my mom. it should be required reading for every son who loves his mom.  i think i may get a copy for my brothers (and maybe my kids).  thanks, mary jo.

thanks for the prayers and support.

"We're all born bald, baby"
- Telly Savalas

blessings,
tim

p.s.  mrs. swisshelm, commenting on the blog is pretty straight-forward.  i have confidence in you.  your cards are wonderful and my mom loves them, but i know you can conquer the technology and post a comment.   click on # comments at the end of the message.  write your message in the box that comes up.  choose Name/URL from the "Comment as" drop down menu.  it will ask for a name and url.  enter your name (leave url blank) and hit "continue".  then hit "post comment".  hope that works.

6 comments:

  1. It is so great to see your picture. With or without hair, you are beautiful inside and out. Hang in there. "Timmy" says the good days are starting to outnumber the bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim, you are the best. Every day starts with your updates.
    Char,my friend,you are in the prayers of several of my co-workers. They continue to ask how you are doing. We continue to think about you and hope to be able to see you out and abaout very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Char,

    I can totally picture you with no "hairs", as you say, but your being silent takes me to a whole new dimension. I dreamed of quiet days many, many, many times at work, but I'd give anything to have you back there tormenting us all. Keep up the good work and stay tough. Love & squishes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bald is in! Of course now, when "they" say couples start to look more like each other over time will look at Jim and Char and say, "See!"

    Maybe the whole family should get the same 'do to show solidarity....

    Great book, if you like to cry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Grandma,

    Matthew says "he knew you would get better! God helped you through this and He will heal your mouth too!" You are doing great! I know you wish the timing would be faster and we do too, but we know you will be back to eating and drinking and "offering advice" soon! We miss seeing you in person, but we can see you in our thoughts. Have you selected your new hat? I love Maggie's idea for what to put on it! You have earned it!

    Keep working hard and you will be out of there in no time eating more than roast beef and green beans!

    We love you and grandpa more than you know!

    Love,

    Matthew and Missy
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oksy so I know this is my second post, but I just couldn't pass making a comment on Matthew and Missy's post. I truly thought we (ABLE staff) were the ONLY ones who knew about the green bean fetish. I shouldn't be surprised since you are completely who you are. Love and miss you much!!!

    ReplyDelete